Phases and sub-phases are the basic building blocks of schedules.
Access & permissions
Schedules is available to Pro and Enterprise accounts. Read more in Pricing and Subscription.
To create or edit schedules (modifications are only available in the Webapp) you need an in-house user with a role permission to manage schedules. Read more in Permissions.
How to access Schedules
- Click Tickets
- Select Schedule in the View drop-down
Create a Phase
To create a phase:
- Click + Create phase
- Enter a title (mandatory for all phases)
- Select the Parent phase to create a sub-phase, or leave it blank if the new phase should be on the first level of the work breakdown structure (WBS).
- Select Scheduling mode, e.g. Manual
- Select a Start date and an End date or enter the Duration (changing one will update the others).
Read more in Schedules > Duration, Start Date & End Date
- If you want to set the progress manually, select Set manually.
- Optional: Set the progress with the slider as needed.
- Click Create.
Use Automatic Scheduling Mode & Automatic Progress
We recommend using automatic scheduling mode whenever possible.
Use manual scheduling mode only if a phase needs to be pinned in time and should never be automatically re-scheduled.
We recommend using automatic progress whenever possible.
Setting a manual progress is useful if you are not using any tickets (that could provide progress information) and also no sub-phases.
Create a Sub-Phase
It is possible to create sub-phases as described above in Create a Phase. But there is a faster way where the parent phase gets pre-filled:
- Hover over the parent phase in the WBS and click +.
- OR open the more menu
- Click + Create sub-phase
The rest works the same like described above.
Edit a Phase
To open and edit a phase:
- Click the phase in the WBS
- Make your changes and click Save
You can change the scheduling mode and progress of a phase this way. You can also change all the other information of a phase, however, there are faster ways as well:
Restructure Phases in the WBS
Use Drag & Drop to move a phase or ticket in the hierarchy of the WBS:
- Click and hold the phase or ticket you want to move.
- Move it to the area of the lines that indicate the hierarchy.
- Notice the line with the blue dot to see where it will be placed after you release the mouse button.
Reschedule Phases in the Gantt Chart
To change the duration of a phase or ticket:
- Drag & Drop the right end of the bar of a phase in the Gantt Chart
Please note that the duration of automatically scheduled phases is determined by its sub-elements and cannot be changed manually.
To move the start date (and end date) while keeping the duration (works only with manually scheduled phases/tickets):
- Drag & Drop the bar of a manually scheduled phase/ticket in the Gantt Chart
Rename a Phase
Quickly rename a phase inline instead of opening the phase and changing the title:
- Hover over the phase in the WBS and click Rename Phase.
- Enter new title
- Click ✔ to save
Delete a Phase
When you delete a phase, all its sub-elements will also be deleted. Tickets linked to phases will be removed from the schedule, but not deleted.
Deleted phases and their sub-phases cannot be restored. Make sure you select the right one before confirming deletion.
To delete a phase in the WBS:
- Open the more menu of the phase
- Click Delete phase
- Type 'Delete' in the confirmation text box in case the phase has sub-elements.
- Click Delete to confirm
The delete phase button is also available when you open a phase to edit it.